Sunday, July 29, 2018

Loretto Chapel Staircase

One of my bucket-list places to go to has been the Loretto Chapel in Santa Fe, New Mexico; there is a famous staircase at the chapel, which many (including myself) believe to have been built by St. Joseph himself (https://www.lorettochapel.com/info/staircase).

I recently learned that the property was sold to a private individual a number of years ago, who has now allowed the chapel to be used for the legal witnessing of same-sex unions (https://www.lorettochapel.com/blog/santa-fe-weddings). My heart hurt when I learned this, and I am now torn as to whether or not I should go in the near future.

Miraculous Staircase (240, EM1)
So, I ask for your prayers for two intentions: 1) for wisdom and discernment on my part in going, and 2) for the conversion of the minds and hearts of those who have allowed this to happen.

From August 1st (St. Alphonsus Liguori) through the 9th (St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross), I will offer this prayer as a novena to St. Joseph, and I ask you to join me. Quite providentially, both St. Alphonsus and St. Teresa Benedicta had great devotions to St. Joseph. Finally, please feel free to share this with whomever you like.

 O Holy St. Joseph listen to our cry and present them for us to our Heavenly Father. You built a staircase to a choir loft so that human choirs might imitate angelic choirs. We beg you now, inspired carpenter, to build a staircase to heaven for us and for all who do not know the way to paradise.
     We are all sinners and are lost on our journey; so, do not allow us to sit in judgment of those who seek intimate love with those of the same sex. Rather, may we look upon them with eyes filled with sorrow and compassion, and may they look upon us in our sinfulness with the same eyes.
     You did not build the staircase for the honor and glory of your name. So, teach us now to build for each other staircases to heaven for the honor and glory of the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment