Wednesday, July 18, 2018

A Little Heads Up


It's funny how God acts in our lives. The last couple days, I've been struggling to decide what I should write about next: the pretty interesting lineage of Joe, Joe: Terror of Demons, or perhaps the many prefigurements of Joe in the Old Testament, but all that changed yesterday when I was helping a friend do some housework.

On my way out the door, I happened to notice a statue of Joe lying down in the flowerbed. My first reaction was to go help a brother out and stand him up, and when I did I realized why he was lying down - his head was broken off. Then, I was settled. Joe: Head of the Holy Family.

Someone once told me that the husband may be the head of the wife, but the wife is the heart of the husband. How true this was for Joe and Mary! It is no coincidence that Mary kept memories in her heart (Lk. 2:19, 51), and it is Joe who was having dreams. The two go together.

So, by now you're probably asking yourself, "What about Jesus?" Well, it's pretty simple. Jesus is the neck of the Holy Family. He's the one who connects the head and the heart. He's the one that make the head and heart possible. He's like the glue between intellectual faith and heart-felt faith. One without the other is lacking, both together are a force to be reckoned with.

Do you find yourself laking intellectual faith? Go to Joe; he might just teach you in dreams. Do you find yourself laking heart-felt faith? Go to Mary; she'll teach a mother's faith in a child. But in all things go to Jesus, for he'll join the two together, and with this faith we will move mountains (Mt. 17:20).

(By the way, I did my best to repair the broken statue.)

No comments:

Post a Comment