Wednesday, November 4, 2020

A Man of Many Colors

I recently watched this video of Jordan Peterson speaking about the Old Testament Joseph and the significance of a “coat of many colors” (Genesis 37:3). I particularly liked his use of this coat as an analogy for being good at whatever you do. As he pointed out, Joseph did well by the grace of God in everything he did—from being a son, brother, servant, prisoner, and even second-in-command of Egypt.

When I heard this analogy, I almost immediately thought of St Teresa of Avila’s experience (and mine) that Joe has been patronage in all matters: 

... I am astonished at the great favours which God has bestowed on me through this blessed saint, and at the perils from which He has freed me, both in body and in soul. To other saints the Lord seems to have given grace to succour us in some of our necessities but of this glorious saint my experience is that he succours us in them all and that the Lord wishes to teach us that as He was Himself subject to him on earth (for, being His guardian and being called His father, he could command Him) just so in Heaven He still does all that he asks...

-Autobiography, Chapter 6 (page 52)

No comments:

Post a Comment