Wednesday, January 8, 2020

You are my Beloved Son


We all know that kids like to ask the simple question, “Why?” And in the process of answering “because...” and returning to “but why?” “because...”  and so on, we often are led by kids to the core, the most basic, the fundamentals of what we are teaching them.

I have to believe that Jesus was the same way. After all, “He had to become like his brothers in every way... yet without sin” (Hebrews 2:17, 4:15). Imagine Jesus and Joseph having this conversation:




  • Jesus: Dad, why did you and mom name me ‘Jesus'? Why not Joseph, or Jacob, or Judah?
  • Joseph: Because, Jesus, this was the name that the angel told us to give to you.




  • Jesus: But why did the angel tell you to give me this name?
  • Joseph: Because the Lord wanted it to be so.




  • Jesus: But why did the Lord want it to be so?
  • Joseph: Because He wanted you to know your mission in life from the identity that He has given to you.




  • Jesus: But what is my mission?
  • Joseph: The angel told me that your mission is to save us from our sinfulness. This is why you are called ‘Jesus'. Your name means, “The LORD saves.”




  • Jesus: But why should the LORD give me this name when it is parents who name their kids?
  • Joseph: Because the LORD is your true Father. I can only echo what He commands of me. He is the true Speaker, you are His Word, and I am only the wall that echos back the Word. You both precede me and follow from me. You were spoken from all of eternity and in this moment of time, I am blessed to repeat what your Father has spoken. I am only a canyon. Perhaps, by the LORD's gift, the greatest and most beautiful canyon because of the mission that has been given to me by name. My name means “The LORD increases.” And I am blessed to give increase to your name by repeating it. But no matter how beautiful the canyon is, it compares as nothing to the Person who beholds it and speaks into it. For the Beauty of the Speaker is His Word, and the canyon has no word of its own—only the Word that has been given to it. You, Jesus, are my word because you have been given to me and I give you back. I can only repeat what God has said to you from all eternity, “You are my beloved son.”




  • Jesus: So, what you're saying is that my mission in life (to save God's people from their sins) comes from my identity (Jesus) that God has given me because of the relationship that He has with me (His Son)?
  • Joseph: Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.




  • Jesus: Cool! Thanks dad!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment