Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Will He look like me?

"What will He look like?" I'm sure this was a question that Joe must have asked himself over and over again during the final days of Mary's pregnancy with Jesus. The question, "Will He look like me?", probably caused Joe some anxiety too. "If He happens to look like me, will others think that He is my son? Will they not believe me when I say that Mary is still a virgin? How could I expect them to understand if I myself do not understand how all this is possible?"



Now, imagine... 

It is a little past midnight. Mary and Joe are in a cave with animals all around with all the smells and sounds this entails. The only light and heat they have is from a little twig fire that crackles just a few feet away. Mary has been experiencing contractions for the last several hours, and the time of delivery is here. Joe is the only other person she trusts and permits to assist her in delivering her Child, but he has never assisted in the delivery of a child - let alone this Child! With the temptation to fear that he will mess-up and cause the death of his wife and her Child pressing hard upon him, he cries out to the Father in a short but urgent prayer:

God, come to me quickly! 
You are my help and deliverer. 
Lord, do not delay!
Now Joe turns his full attention to his wife as he is in anguish in seeing his beloved wife suffer the pains of giving birth. The delivery happens, and before he knows it, he is holding this crying newborn king in his hands. Joe is the first to hold Him -he is the first to see His Face- and he is astonished to see that this little Boy looks just like him. He is stunned. He does not know what to say or think. He can only look upon this Child with love, and he begins to experience that weird mix of crying and laughing at the same time. 

He knows that this Child is not his by nature; instead, he knows that he has received this Child as a gift from God through Mary. Mary! He became so enraptured with this Child that he actually forgot about her! While all these thoughts and emotions are passing through Joe, Mary just laid there and looked with patient love upon her beloved husband and Son. Joe looks up at Mary, and with tear-filled eyes, he hands the Child to her. 

The Human Face of God is now seen! God is with us! Come, let us adore Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment