Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Let's take a 100 mile walk

Have you ever considered what it would have been like for Joe to walk along side of Mary from Nazareth to Bethlehem? It certainly would have been a time of great trial for both of them. According to Google Maps, the recommended walking route now is about 100 miles. Could you imagine walking along side a donkey carrying a young mother, who is due to give birth any day now? I'm hard pressed to walk a single mile these days, let alone one hundred! Anything more than a 10 minute walk almost necessitates a car these days.

I came across a beautiful quote placed in the mouth of the Holy Mother of God to Joe that I would like to share with you:

O virgin, when Joseph went up to Bethlehem sounded by sorrow, thou didst cry to him: "Why art thou downcast and troubled, seeing me great with child? Why art thou wholly ignorant of the fearful mystery that comes to pass in me?  Henceforth, cast every fear aside and understand this strange marvel: for in my womb God now descends upon the earth for mercy's sake, and He has taken flesh.  thou shalt see Him according to His good pleasure, when He is born; and fill with joy thou shalt worship Him as Thy Creator, Whom the angels praise without ceasing in song and glorify with the father and the Holy Spirit."

I found it in another blog reflection on the Journey to Bethlehem, and I encourage you to take some time and read it. It also shares several beautiful Greek Icons of the Mary and Joe's journey.

Also, if you're not familiar with the Mexican tradition of Las Posadas, I encourage you to take some time and watch this short video describing the tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment