Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Joe, the Silent Saint

Although I'm writing this post before I go on retreat, by the grace of God and the goodness of His gift of technology, it is able to be automatically posted on Wednesday (I hope). Leave it to God to work outside of time! The retreat I am on is a silent retreat, so how appropriate it is to write a little about Joe as the silent saint.

In one of earlier posts, I made the point that although there are no directly attributed words of Joe in the Scriptures, we can infer that he did indeed speak one word: the Word => "Jesus." Those who know me well, know that I can talk a lot, and in this way, Joe has been a major challenge to me. How can I model the man who says little but speaks volumes?

The answer is quite simple: the name of Jesus. How little do we just say His Name? If you're like me, we usually say It in the context of larger prayers. Yet, His Name is a prayer in Itself. To say the Name is to pray, "Lord, save us from our sins!" (Matthew 1:21) Perhaps, the next time we're having a rough day and we just want to complain to God in prayer, let us imitate Joe who never ceased praying the most simple of all prayers: "Jesus!"

Finally, pray for me as I continue on retreat. Jesus!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for inviting me to your blog! I have not thought of you as a talkative person. The first thing I noticed about you last year when we met in class was how quiet and deep-thinking you were--and still are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought about you and this blog because in Post-Reformation class we talked about how the devotion to St. Joseph became popular during the time of Teresa of Avila. She put her first Carmel under his patronage. Apparently, she was on the forefront of his rise in popularity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Teresa of Avila was at the forefront at promoting devotion to St. Joseph (although Jean Gerson was probably more so). I've mentioned her once already: http://sjsdaydreams.blogspot.com/2018/09/terror-of-demons.html and will probably do so again soon.

      Delete